Request a Passport File Search

U.S. Citizens applying for a lost or stolen passport replacement are required to provide Proof of U.S. Citizenship. Proof of U.S. Citizenship can be an original long form U.S. birth certificate, a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, original naturalization certificate, or a previously expired U.S. passport that was valid for ten years. If you cannot provide one of the aforementioned documents and you are traveling soon, you can pay an additional $150 fee to the U.S. Department of State to perform a 'file search'.


Download the US Department of State Passport File Search Form



The File Search is used by the U.S. Department of State to locate your record of your previously issued U.S. Passport Book or Card. If the record is not located, the file search fee is not guaranteed and is non-refundable. If the passport applicant is not traveling soon, the U.S. Department of State recommends obtaining the proof of U.S. citizenship first and then applying for routine passport processing through your local passport acceptance agent.


A File Search Fee is required when a customer cannot provide primary citizenship evidence and requests in writing that a previous U.S. passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad record be verified in order to establish citizenship for the issuance of his or her passport.

(Required when applicant is unable to present evidence of citizenship). 

The file search fee is $150.00 and charged in addition to the passport application fee(s).

Applicants who are overseas and whose passport was lost or stolen are exempt from paying the File Search Fee. For more information, see 22 CFR 22.1, Item No. 6.

Compliant Passport Photos 
Printed in less than an hour.

Download today!

passport photo creator app ad